ALTO is an Infrastructure supported by the European Community through the ENSAR contract in the framework of FP7 Integrated Infrastructure Initiative, for the period from September 1st,2010 to August 31st,2014.
This contract enables ALTO to reimburse the travel and living expenses of researchers coming to carry out experiments during this period.
A priority is given to new users and also young researchers
ALTO is open to national and international user groups. To apply for access to the accelerator and experimental facilities, a written project proposal has to be submitted. The proposals are reviewed by an international Program Advisory Committee
The PAC presently has 8 members (7 external), with half of them coming from universities or research institutes outside France. The ENSAR User Selection Panel is composed of the chairman of the PAC, the research director of IPN, the scientific coordinator of the facility and the manager of the Access Project.
In a first round the PAC evaluates all of the submitted proposals on the basis of scientific merit and makes recommendations concerning the beam time to be allocated to each project. In a second step the ENSAR User Selection Panel reviews the funding applications. The panel evaluates the time and the amount of travel requested for setting up and executing the experiment, and decides on the number of person-days and travels to be allocated to the proposal in question.
Beam time scheduling
Once a proposal has acquired the status of an accepted experiment, a IPN contact person is assigned to each external group. This contact person gives support in all practical aspects, including the beam time scheduling.
Beam time scheduling is managed by the ALTO scientific coordinator. He acts in close contact with the users and their IPN contact person, with the accelerator division and with an internal ALTO Round Table Committee that is responsible for coordinating the scientific and technical requirements connected with the use of the accelerator facilities
Financial support within ENSAR
To be eligible for participation in the ALTO TNA access program a user group must satisfy the following conditions:
- both the user group leader and the majority (i.e. 50% or more) of the users must be employed by institutions within Member States or Associated States;
- both the user group leader and the majority (i.e. 50% or more) of the users must be employed by institutions in a country other than the country(ies) where the legal entity(ies) operating the infrastructure is(are) established;
Financial support within the ENSAR Access Activity is on a per day basis and amounts to 70€ per day. Researchers could stay at the ALTO guest house (24 € per night).Travel expenses will be reimbursed (300 €). The local administrative rules will be applied. Please contact Mrs. Nathalie TISON, firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange your visit.
How to get your Access funding
ENSAR Access users are requested to register at least 2 weeks prior to their travel to ALTO to provide us with information on their respective project acronym, individual user data, and the relevant travel information.
For this advance registration, please use the web registration form: ENSAR User Registration and send a copy of your bank account information issued by the bank to email@example.com.
Submission of proposals
Please send your applications by e-mail using the “send” button in the pdf files.
What to do after the experiment
Each Group Leader (spokesperson or co-spokesperson) of a project supported by the UE Programme is requested to:
- Fill-in the experiment report and send it back to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org Please not that no travel reimbursement could take place before receiving the experiment report
- Fill on-line a questionnaire at http://cordis.europa.eu/fp7/capacities/questionnaire_en.html
- Ensure that all publications directly linked to the work performed in the framework of the supported project include the following acknowledgement: "This work has been supported by the European Community FP7 – Capacities- Integrated Infrastructure Initiative- contract ENSAR n° 262010”
- Keep ALTO informed of all the publications referred above by sending the references to Fadi Ibrahim by e-mail ( email@example.com)
Dr. Fadi IBRAHIM
- manager of the access project
- Institut de Physique Nucléaire
- 15 rue G. Clemenceau
- 91406 Orsay Cedex
- phone: +33 16915 4477
- fax: +33 16915 6470